A641.8.3.RB - Personal Balance Sheet_SharpMelissa


Based on the responses completed on my Personal Balance Sheet, I was able to reflect on my strengths and weaknesses. A reflection of my assessment is outlined below:

 My Distinctive Strengths
  • I am a good communicator/speaker
  • I work well with others
  • Creativity
  • Initiative
  • Patience
  • Flexible
  • Quick-study
  • Reliable
  • Kind
  • Generous
  • Leader
  • Organized
My Liabilities
  • Time management- My time management is inconsistent and I want to develop a habit of consistency. Because of my current work position, I am able to adjust my schedule as needed; however, there is still this part of me that underestimates the time it takes to accomplish things/arrive at places. Although I’m usually on time, I tend to rush. When rushing, my stress level increases and I run the risk of forgetting things. A lack of strong time-management could easily cause chaos as I take on more leader responsibilities, so I am constantly working on this.
  • Controlling- If I am unwilling to release control, my effective leadership opportunities will be limited. I cannot control everything. I can’t control the direction of the organization if I am not the one making final, important decisions, and  I can’t control others behaviors. I can only control my thoughts, actions, decisions, etc. The more I learn to release control, the easier it is for me, as a leader and citizen in this world. If I do not release control, I will be an ineffective leader.
  • I could be a better salesperson – work-life and personally.  Personally, I could “sell” myself/resume build, better; on the job, I could sell our programs more and focus on student-recruitment
  • My personal internal issues: insecurity, need more confidence, fear- if I don't work on these areas, they could get in the way of my effectiveness. 

 My Potential Strengths
My potential strengths are areas that, if practiced more, could become distinctive strengths:
  • Giving constructive criticism- see below
  • Embracing change- I manage through change, however, I am sometimes resistant throughout the process. I want to be less resistant and more willing to see the reason behind changes
  • Speaking up against injustice- see below
For the most part, I am growing in the areas listed above, and I can see how my potential strengths could be distinctive strengths. I listed giving constructive criticism as a potential strength because I feel that I hold back sometimes. I resist giving full-blown constructive criticism sometimes because I don’t want to crush others; also, I don’t want to upset others. Because I know that value of telling people the truth, even if the truth is unpleasant, I do it. Although I give constructive criticism, I want to do so more swiftly, frequently, and confidently. I have the same thoughts about speaking up against injustice. Although I will speak out against injustice, I sometimes do so out of fear. However, I don’t want to be afraid when speaking up against injustice, I want my stance to be brave; therefore, I have to practice speaking out against unjust actions so that I am less afraid.
   
Weaknesses I Want to Change
  • Professionally- the technical components on my job- like Excel, specific reports, etc.
  • Personally- incorporating a consistent fitness habit

 My Enduring Dispositions That Support Me
My enduring dispositions are the habits, behaviors, and traits that support me; I do not want to change these things as they allow me to be more effective:
  • Initiative
  • Drive
  • Patience
  • Go-getter
  • Strong-willed
  • Organized
  • Responsible
  • Leadership

  My Enduring Dispositions that Sometimes Get in My Way
  • My shy nature gets in the way of the recruitment component that may be needed for my job
My lack of a desire to sell to people probably will not change. I would rather develop relationships with people and let them decide what is best for them. However, the nature of my job is changing; recruitment is going to be a primary focus as we seek to increase our enrollments. Therefore, my lack of desire to recruit and sell sometimes gets in the way of what the job requires. Yet, I still have no desire to pursue recruitment or sales; when recruiting, I do so because I have to, not because I want to. Because this is an area that I do not desire to change, I'll have to change my external circumstances when needed. 



McKee, A. B. (2008). Becoming a Resonant Leader. Boston: Harvard Business Press .


Comments